March: Lauren MacNary Student Teaching


            This semester I am Student Teaching at a middle school in North Austin.  It is a new and exciting process for me.  I wanted to do a blog post about student teaching that outlined some of my experiences and some advice.  Sorry, this is a long one!
At the middle school I am student teaching at this semester, the students are ready to learn and create.  I really admire this quality in students.  So far, I have been impressed with the students’ willingness to try new things, especially in dance.  Dance can sometimes be scary and difficult to master.  The students are not afraid and are willing to work on things until they understand it.  This is an attitude that comes naturally to many students and it is supported by the teachers and staff at the middle school.  The teachers strive to create an environment that is safe and encouraging for their students. 
There have been some obstacles of course. I found it very difficult to study for my History Certification Exam while student teaching.  Sometimes I had time during the school day to study but most of the studying happened while I was at home.  Some weeks it felt like I worked all day at the school then worked all night at home to study.  I now understand why my university does not allow us to take any other classes while student teaching.  It is a process I must devote a lot of attention and time to.  I must also focus on becoming a certified teacher by taking the necessary exams.
Another challenge I am facing is how to help a student who is an English Language Learner.  My Cooperating teacher or mentor doesn’t have a lot of information on her.  Therefore, it is unclear what level of proficiency she’s at.  She understands spoken English but rarely responds with more than one word when asked a direct question.  I have studied the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) but I am having trouble finding ways to accommodate when I don’t know how much or how little accommodation she needs.  On a different note, she is a very talented beginner dancer! She has shown a lot of promise and I am enjoying working and learning with her.
I am most inspired by my CT’s ability to comfort her students.  As teachers we must educate and support our students.  Sometimes that means providing a tissue when they shed a tear or listen to them when they need advice.  Sometimes this leads to the help of a counselor but often a pat on the back from a teacher can go a long way.  I am a very empathetic person, and a great listener.  However, I do not always know what to say in the moment while comforting someone. I feel that comforting people is something I need to grow in. 
As the weeks have gone on, I have fully taken over all 6th grade dance classes.  Because I am also being certified in History soon, I will take over two 7th grade Texas History classes.  I am also lucky enough to be able to observe two dance team classes which are a mix of 7th and 8th graders.  I also attend morning practices for the team and have gotten to watch them kick butt at two competitions this season.  I am looking forward to working with them as they prepare for spring show! 
While there is a lot on my plate as a student teacher it is also extremely entertaining and rewarding.  I never know what’s going to happen at a middle school or what I will learn that day.  My advice is to never stop asking questions, how are you ever going to learn if you don’t ask?  I would also like to say it is alright to feel a little stressed.  I am often at the school starting at 7AM for practice until 4:30 in the afternoon, sometimes later if there are after school activities.  Student teaching is a lot of work!  Just remember to be confident in yourself and ask for help or support when you need it.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Student Teaching or the certification process! 
lmacnary@gmail.com

Comments